Every year our ward does a 4th of July Breakfast. For the last 10 years, (except this one) I have been one of the cooks since I have a cookstove. For a few of those years Janene was in charge of putting the whole thing together, so I got to help by default. We always have a great time visiting with our neighbors. It is really a lot of fun because we get to visit with all of the people in our area, not just the ones you see at church. Usually, we get to have a flyover of an Air National Guard tanker/refueler and five fighter jets. Add that to being able to honor some veterans, and it is quite a moving experience. Ever since Janene and I went to the Soviet Union as friendship ambassadors, I have had a soft spot for patriotic (yes - flag waving) ceremonies.
The highlight of the day for me was going to the parade in my mom's neighborhood. My mom used to be a majorette and really knew how to throw a mean baton. (I hear that she was known as "Legs Morton" at the time). I can remember Mom trying to teach us kids how to twirl a baton and having it end badly with a big bonk on the noggin. This year Mom led the parade with all the kids on bikes and a guy on horseback throughout the whole neighborhood. She wore a number 77 on her back that corresponded to her age. I don't think I ever expected to see this day. From third grade on, I was always surprised to see my mom make it to another July 4th birthday. This too, was a pretty emotional experience for me.
Back in our neighborhood, our bishopric was leading our own parade of kids on bikes. They tried to get me to participate in this crazy scheme, but I didn't want to wear one of those silly hats. Besides, I am sure that I can't remember how to ride a bike well enough to keep from running over the little kids. There was also this small problem related to every bike we own having a flat tire. Later on, on the night of the 4th, we had a memorial service for Dave's 30th birthday that was an emotional roller coaster for both of us. From fun and goofy to spiritual and touching and back and forth again - all in the space of a day. Wow! is all I can say, but what blessed lives we lead.
On the eighth, we had a little party for Janene's mom who turned 90 that day. Everyone had a good time including Janene's mom, even though she didn't really understand what the party was about. What she did know was that everyone loves her - and that is what is really important anyway. So that is the story of all those numbers. It is too bad we didn't have the time to record this on the blog until now, but better late than never.
Wednesday, August 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
And that's why July birthdays are the very best. What fun!
Great posts. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment