Thursday, August 25, 2011

Night on Bald Mountain




We had a few hours to kill, so we headed into the mountains to show Ping what the Uintas are. Our first stop was the meadow at the foot of Bald  Mountain. Ping wanted this picture for her family back home in China.

As the storm clouds gathered, we thought we might be in for a re-creation of Mussorgsky's fearful tone poem. Lightning was striking the peaks and basins surrounding us. From the top of Bald Mountain we had a great view of Hayden Peak and Amethyst Basin.


Ping and Janene scampered to the very top of the mountain, daring the lightning to strike them. I was just a little nervous carrying my aluminum tripod. When the hair on your neck stands up, its time to get away from the camera. We made our normal phone call to Dad from the top of the peak just to prove that the phone worked. (Can you hear me now?)
Even with the lousy weather - Man, was it cold!- we still got to see some incredible sights. Right below this picture was a herd (is that what you call it?) of mountain goats. I was wishing I had carried the telephoto lens up to the top. As it was, I carried all my fishing tackle instead. Go Figure!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Freebairn Family said...

Michael asked me why you weren't in your beautiful picture of the mountains. I explained you were behind the camera and he said," but why didn't he put Grandma in it?". Ha! He must be related to Mom. Looks like lots of fun - missed the uintas this year, I suppose. Lily only commented, "oh, Ping. I love Ping."