Thursday, June 9, 2011

First Fruits

I know everyone gets tired of us bragging about our garden..... but I just had to do it. For a month now we have been able to have asparagus every two or three days. Today we had a complete dinner from our garden including a mixed greens salad. Janene has made rhubarb pie and rhubarb sorbet too. Soon the peas, onion and parsnips will be ready, and I even saw a squash blossom on one of the butternut squash plants.

This week I had Mikey helping me in the garden ( he was a real help, believe it or not) and I took him around showing him all the plants. "Here, Mikey - what do you think these are"? "Carrots, Grandpa" " Nope, Lettuce" "What about these?" " Carrots?" Nope, Peppers"
"What about these?" "Carrots?" "Nope, Strawberries - What about these?" "Onions, Grandpa?" " Nope - Carrots" It was a hoot! Everything I asked him was "Carrots" and we went through 12 different things. When we got to the carrots, that's when he came up with ssomething else.

I love having our little ones close. Wait til I get to tell about Lily and her new hairdo! Maybe Brooke will blog about that first.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Freebairn Family said...

I do intend to share Lily's story, but I'm so, so far behind. I'm catching up slowly. If I ever finish Easter and NY, I may get to it. . .

I can't believe Mikey didn't know some of the plants. He knows what ours are (the onions and strawberries for sure). I suppose he's just mad I never let him plant any carrots!