Saturday, January 30, 2010

ADCD Fishes?

When we went to Hawaii, we took our snorkeling gear. I don't really recommend doing that. It's bulky and heavy and you can rent snorkel, mask and fins in Hawaii for $1.50 a day. I have this weird fear that I am going to suffocate every time I put that mask on.
So, the second day we were there, we headed out to La Perousse Bay to test the waters. I didn't have my fins. It was cold and the water was kind of rough. I couldn't see anything. It was murky and muddy and I thought I was going to drown. I kept at it though, and pretty soon I discovered an area where it was all rocky and there were fish everywhere. As soon as there was something to see, I forgot all about my fear of drowning. Janene didn't really want to be out there, so she went back and sat on the rocks.
Later, we went out the island of Lanai in a big rubber raft and went to three different spots to snorkel. Janene went with me on the second one in Manele Bay, and then when we went to Lighthouse, she was too cold to get back in. Janene says she doesn't mind being in the water. She just doesn't like the idea of all those crazy critters being in there with her. On our way there, a flying fish came out of the water and flew alongside the boat. It was pretty impressive. It flew for about 300 feet in the air. Weirdness!
Another day, we went to a cool looking bay and were on the way down to snorkel when someone advised us not to go. "There's someone dead down there" she said. It was true. Someone had just died down there and we saw the body bag with the paramedics later. We never found out how they died. It was a little creepy, but two days later, we went back and I explored that bay while Janene sat on the rocks. It was pretty cool and there were lots of fish. We don't know what its real name is, but I call it Dead Man's Bay now.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Freebairn Family said...

Very fun pictures! I'm astounded it was cold, but it still looks very worthwhile!

Diana said...

Cool photos. How did you learn to do underwater photography??

Chelane said...

These look suspiciously like aquarium photos....