Monday, September 29, 2014

After The Storm




We were painting the house when it started to rain ... again. We put away the paintbrushes and decided to go check out a different kind of painting. I thought we were going to head up Little Cottonwood Canyon to look for autumn leaves, but it was already late and I knew that by the time we got there, it would be almost dark. We headed to Farmington Canyon instead.


 After the storm rolled across the valley, there was a period of about two minutes where the island and clouds were perfectly reflected in glassy water. Didn't get a good shot of that. We were too far up the canyon for it to work out, but I did get this one.
 As the storm was moving up the canyon, the light got pretty eerie and I tried to take a picture of autumn leaves lit by the sun and rain. I forgot to hold the camera still and got this picture instead.
 The lake was still a pretty good subject, so Janene and I did get some nice photos of the lake and Farmington Bay. My mom used to tell us about chasing sunsets with Grandpa Morton, driving like crazy to get to the right spot to see a spectacular sunset. A few times in my life, I was with him when the light changed in the canyon, and we were off, camera in hand, to capture something that you don't see every day. Tonight was a little like that, only I was with my sweetheart this time.

Oh, and those autumn leaves we were really planning on seeing?
We saw a few of those too!

1 comment:

Freebairn Family said...

Beautiful! Even the mistake is pretty great in it's own right. At least you got a break from painting!