Friday, May 23, 2008
The Problem with Toys
The problem with toys is that you have to take care of them once you have them. This time it was finally time to clean and drain the hot tub. We have to do this about three times a year - or after every poopy diaper, whichever comes first. So far, we have had none of the latter. It's against the rules. Robin made a suction tool and we hooked two hoses up to drain the thing, at the same time scrubbing all the Jet Packs, cleaning the filters, scrubbing down the sides, and cleaning all the glass on the deck. It was quite a bit of fun with the 102' F water, in our swimming suits on a cold evening, but the fun ended as the sun went down, the clean water was cold, and Janene slipped in the empty tub and cracked the back of her head on one of the delicately curved edges of the tub. We will have to watch her closely - it was a pretty good smack. She was dizzy for a few minutes, but now she's back to work vacuum
ing the carpet - another problem with toys. If we had a dirt floor, she wouldn't need a vacuum cleaner. All in all, I guess we figure the tradeoff is worth it to enjoy the toys when we can. I sometimes wonder if we let our toys and 'things' run our lives. I suppose that is the reason I will probably never own a Mercedes or some really fancy truck. I would hate to feel like I had to spend every spare moment making sure it looked nice and always spotless. That would take away from the time we have to spend with our kids, grandkids and friends. And they are a lot more fun than any toy we could ever own - or it own us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
And I think it's a pain to clean a regular-size bathtub! I'd say if you only have to do that a few times a year and you use it most days, it's probably not such a bad deal. Think of the amount of work a boat takes for just a day or so of enjoyment. Sorry to hear Mom smacked her head - keep and eye on her and make her take medicine if she needs it (she's so silly about that)!
Mikey woke up this morning and before he even got out of bed was begging for his baseball toy. What a fun distraction!
Hello Phillips Family! I know this is completely random, I found your blog via Brooke and Steve via the Woods Cross '98 blog, via Shauna. Whew, that was a long journey. I'm so glad you have a blog! I hope you don't mind me posting. I love seeing what you guys are up to! Come visit my blog sometime. I'm working on getting Shauna set up on a blog, and Sherri. Jeanette has one and it is completely entertaining! Well it looks like you all are doing well! I'm so glad. See ya!
Lisa Hunsaker
Post a Comment