Wednesday, October 19, 2011

An Angelic Blessing



Now everyone is going to think I have flipped my lid. What is Robin doing posting pictures of angels accompanied by angelic voices singing a lullaby? I happened to be listening to this song as I went to sleep last night. It occurred to me that the blessing included in this song is quite similar to the wishes I had for each one of my children when they were little. I never wanted them to experience loneliness, sorrow or heartache. While I never specifically asked that they be wealthy, I never envisioned their lives being dominated by poverty either. Yet as they grew up, some were taunted in school, some struggled to find good friends, and all of our hearts were broken.

Fast forward to today. Mom was over for dinner the other day and offered a blessing at dinner. She prayed for "angels" (not her exact words) to help those in need across the world. As we pray as a couple each day, we find ourselves praying that angels will watch over each of our grown children, especially Chelane and Brooke who are so far away from us now. In reading the scriptures I find that we are entitled to call on the blessings of angels to watch over our loved ones. Heather helped us to understand that angels are real and that angels can take on many forms.

Some angels come from the other side of the veil. They can provide voices of warning and comfort, or peace. Other angels may come in the form of people who have the ability to listen to the promptings of the spirit and the courage to act. A perfect example of this kind of angel is my brother Morton, who dropped everything when David died to care for our family. Still others are family and friends who know us - know us well enough to know when things are not right and help is needed.

I am posting this for our friends and family to know that it is OK to pray for angels to watch over us. The Savior said "Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he give a serpent? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?" Matthew 7: 9-11 Angels are one of those good gifts. Don't be afraid to ask for their help. Our Father wants to bless us, and together we can call down these blessings for us, for members of our family and for those we know who need help.

So you decide if I am crazy - or maybe not.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Amen to all of your comments in this post. I, too, testify that there is great power to be had in prayer with the accompanying faith to see miracles in our lives. Angels are a great gift to help bestow on this troubled world.
Janene