
Attending the funeral for my friend was quite the experience. Steve earned a place in history as the fire department really put on a show about his passing. Besides the incredible funeral procession, the fire department erected a huge flag on the procession route.

Hundreds of firefighters from all over the state came to pay their respects, here lining the street to the
cemetery.

Steve's body was loaded onto one of the fire trucks draped in black with all the pall bearers riding with the casket. If you look closely, you can see Steve's turnout gear and helmet on the front bumper.

I wish I had taken this picture. This was taken by a professional photographer as the fire truck passed under the draped flag.

Fire trucks from all over the state were there in the procession. I have no idea how much money this must have cost. The fuel costs alone must have been staggering.

There was a full motorcycle escort through the entire route. At the cemetery, there was a lone firefighter demonstration, the worst bagpiper I have ever heard, Steve's last call on the radio, a presentation to his widow and a helicopter flyover involving the Life Flight choppers and others including
KSL TV's Chopper 5.

As I watched all this unfold from Grandpa Blaine's and David's
grave sites (Steve was buried about 50 feet away), I couldn't help but think of all those I have known who would have merited a better show, but received none. Both of my grandfathers are heroes in my eyes. I remember when Diane's dad died, there was a choir made up of all the Eagle Scouts he inspired. He was a hero. In all that was said and done at this funeral, I wish that all the humble and valiant men and women I have served during my time conducting and helping to conduct funerals over the last four years could have been better recognized for their efforts. I will remember Steve, but this final salute may be what I remember more than his service to our community.
No comments:
Post a Comment