Wednesday, September 21, 2011
Just Lying on our backs - in the middle of the road....
The other night, Janene and I went to Flaming Gorge Dam. We got there about 10:00 at night. Once we got checked in to our motel room, we jumped back in the truck and drove a little ways up the road where we pulled over, turned off the lights...... and looked up! I almost fell over. I lost my balance and thought I was falling into the sky. We decided to lay down in the middle of the road and look up at the night sky. The Milky Way was incredible. There are no big cities anywhere near here and the moon was over the horizon. With no light pollution, we could see stars everywhere.
We stayed there (in the middle of the road) for over half an hour, watching the sunlight glint off satellites for brief moments, trying to count all the shooting stars, and feeling really, really... small. We marveled at God's handiwork and at the fact that in all the universe, He knows each one of us. He knows all our fears, our joys, - our secret thoughts. I was reminded of the eighth Psalm...
"When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and has crowned him with glory and honour."
It was a powerful moment. A brief moment when I think I understood a little bit, however tiny, of the Love that Our Father has for us, that He would offer us all that He hath, and why he sent His Son to redeem us. It's a little bit strange that I felt what I did, especially when the natural man reaction would be to say that "we are nothing but a speck in the cosmic dust of eternity".
I was grateful for that small precious gift. After half an hour, we heard a car approaching and had to get up before getting squashed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Love, love, love it!
Amazing! I've never even considered that you could see the Milky Way like that. Beautiful!
Post a Comment