I went up on our hill tonight just as it was getting dark and noticed a big fuzzy mitten on one of our oak trees. It turns out that this swarm of bees probably came from one of our hives. We were looking at the hive a week ago and it looked like the bees were trying to make another queen. When they succeed, then the hive swarms and basically splits in two, leaving the old queen in the original hive. The new queen goes with the swarm to find a new home.
So... we found them a new home. We put all these bees with their new queen into another one of our hives. If we had not noticed, by tomorrow they would have found another place to live. We would then lose out on all the honey they can gather. These little gals were very patient and calm while I got a power saw and cut off the branch with them on it. We then put them in the hive and closed up the lid for the night. Pretty cool - thousands of bees and only one of them stung me.
Saturday, May 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
I'm so glad that you caught them before they ran off leaving you high and dry!
What! You guys must be pretty comfortable with those bees if you're daring enough to saw the branch of THOUSANDS of bees. I agree - so glad only one stung you!
Post a Comment