Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Granddaddy Hike

Wow! One of the slides we found is of the trip we took to Granddaddy, Betsy, Mohawk and Fish Hatchery. Mom and Dad have a copy of this on their wall, but I haven't seen it for a really long time. Time has caused me to forget how happy Julia and David were back then. I wish I could see Julia smile like that now. Dad has the cheshire cat grin that comes from knowing that he caught the mother of all brookies on this trip at Fish Hatchery. It weighed in at over 5 pounds. Boy, was that ever fun to watch Dad play that one. We hiked all over the basin, even going to Lodgepole, Pine Island and Farney. We always camp out on the point at Betsy, even though it is usually a little far from drinking water. David cooked us up some great meals over the fire and Shon really learned how to cast far on this trip. We fished on Mohawk until after dark and then walked back to camp not knowing where the trail was. Grandma Phillips would have been horrified. (once, she gave me a bunch of little ribbons to tie on the trees so I would be able to find my way home). And look, everybody has hiking boots on except me. I've got my steel-toed cowboy boots. What was I thinking? Oh well, they did make me two inches taller.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Freebairn Family said...

Wow - Julia does look so happy! And she looks a lot like Heather! Fun photo. And weren't you quite the cowboy?

PhillipsClan said...

What a great family we have and what special times we have spent together. There could be thousands of wonderful photos like these. I guess there are...in those wonderful video cameras we call brains.
Thanks for recording your special thoughts and using your fine talent at writing I knew you had.
love, me

Marie said...

So, Robin, will you be bringing back the mustache?

Heather K. said...

I just showed this picture to Cy and asked him who he knew. He looked at it for a long time, and then said, "Him." He pointed to David. "Oh, and how do you know him?" I asked. "He's my friend." David must have made an impression during those first 6 months of Cy's life. Or maybe his fun personality is just very attractive.