Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Joy of Being "BWAMPA"



There are just a few blessings that come from getting old. One of them is the joy of having grandkids. I remember how fascinated I was with my grandfathers, both of whom were pretty famous in my way of thinking. My Grandpa Morton could be seen on Saturday afternoons on a TV show called "Bold Journey" where he narrated some of his adventure movies. My Grandpa Phillips could be seen in the Salt Lake Tribune walking his dog around the block - on his unicycle, no less. We could also take the kids to the circus to see him and the rest of the Shriner Clowns entertaining the crowds between acts.

I will have to share some of those experiences later, but I love the voice messages I get from my grandkids. They cover everything from potty training to first encounters with the Tooth Fairy. Lately, some of my grandsons have taken an interest in rocks and minerals. We have retrieved boxes and boxes of rocks Janene and I have collected in our travels, but mostly during the time when we both studied Geology at the U and during the summer science classes that first brought us together. Bit by bit our rock collection is leaving our house and going down two generations to these little boys.

It is funny to think of myself as "BWAMPA". I still think of myself as the little fascinated grandson.

5 comments:

Freebairn Family said...

He's harder to understand than I expected. He is such a funny kid - so proud not to have diapers anymore and thrilled to tell everyone about it!

Loved this post - Bwampa's are pretty special, we all think so!

Subhash said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Subhash said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Subhash said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Subhash said...
This comment has been removed by the author.