Papa's Ghost Towns
By Heather Phillips Kearl
It's fitting that Papa should be like them so
He brings us here searching, year after year
With their yawning doorways and supporting beams,
the old houses preserve a peaceful silence
like a dream of smoothly ebbing streams
or dark shadows, moving forward
The silence fills each room, so compressed
its dark wispy shapes pool on the peeling paper
I am lost, but complete as the silence swallows me
surrounding me in its flurry of memories
The house knows all; it's always alert,
full of treasures, knowledge and respect
when on first glance it seemed so bare
He spends every day, constructing new homes,
showy and grand, then hands them,
like a newborn child, to parents longing for such.
Yet,
just now, as I stand amidst the broken glass,
splintered wood, and peaceful completion,
I understand why he's so much at home
Poem by my daughter
Photographs by Janene
Sometimes it seems that it takes a daughter's insight to be able to understand who I am.
4 comments:
Hey, that was 17 years ago. I think I need a chance to edit . . .
Post a Comment