Sunday, September 26, 2010

Did we sign up for this?

In February, we found out that we could trade our time share for a condo at Glacier National Park in September. I thought "Wow!, What a great time to go to Glacier." The fall colors, the absence of throngs of tourists, a little cooler for hiking. It couldn't be a better time to go - or so I thought. When we arrived, we found out it had snowed the day before , 8 inches to be exact. Oh well, not to worry. It will all melt. For most of our week long trip, this is what we saw from our condo balcony as it snowed all week long.
After almost a week, and after one sunny day, this is what we should have been able to see from our porch. We still couldn't see the mountains very well, but at least we could tell they were there. For part of the time, we decided to leave our comfy snow cave and headed north to Banff and Jasper in Canada where we heard the sun was out. When we came back to Glacier, the wind was howling and the mountains were socked it with clouds. So.... we left early, headed south to Yellowstone and Grand Teton.
Well, not so good an idea. When we arrived at Yellowstone, we found that 50 feet past our campsite, the road was closed because of a wild fire that was out of control. So here was where plan B kicked in. We will head to Grand Teton where the scenery should be stunning.
This is what greeted us in the Tetons. Another wildfire was burning in the Teton range and we couldn't see a thing.
This is what I expected - and I was sorely disappointed. There were some moments on this trip when we were able to see some stunning sights, but most of the time we were not able to take pictures because of the poor weather. I hope to share some of the good times later, but I thought I ought to give everyone a sense of what our trip was like. Glad to be back home again in a warm bed where we don't have to bundle up in multiple layers to go out the door.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Freebairn Family said...

Brrrr...

Crystal said...

Sounds cold, but I might be willing to trade it for the 90 degree weather we are suppose to have all this week. Okay, well maybe.