Ok, so I'm home sick with the flu, I feel miserable and wanted something to drink to help my sore throat. Janene has gone with friends to a cabin for the weekend and I'm home alone. I found this nice bottle of vino blanc in the fridge (it's just carbonated grape juice) It was a Christmas gift. It is a fine Italian make from a French importer. This would soothe my aching throat and get some much needed liquids into my feverish system. There's only one problem....
Beginning at the first of the year, my son in law, Stephen began the year with a resolution to avoid soda pop. He tried to get lots of people to join him in his efforts - kind of like an AA group. Nobody would join him. We all liked our Diet Cokes or our Dr. Peppers, too much. Well, I finally gave in and joined him. It has now been over a month without a Diet Coke. The first two weeks were miserable. I had a caffeine headache the whole two weeks. So now my dilemma... Is this really considered soda pop? And does it really matter if it's used for medicinal purposes? Besides, I'm home alone. Who will ever know?
Well, to quote from Clarence in It's a Wonderful Life, " No, I didn't take a drink". Ok, I'm headed for the Alka-Seltzer. Plop,Plop, Fizz, Fizz! Curses - foiled again!
Saturday, February 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I say drink it. Sorry Steve.
I don't drink much soda, but I don't know if I could swear it off for a year. When I'm sick with the flu I need Sprite. I don't know if there is any proof that it helps when you are sick, but I've always had it when I was sick. It may be the placebo effect at work, but hey it works.
hey, husband, stick to your guns if only because it's harder to get back on after you fall off the wagon. I was so proud of you on the airplanes to and from Hawaii when you were offered soda so many times. You turned it down without ever complaining to me or even mentioning it. Maybe it's not a big deal to drink the bubbly grape juice, but the fact that you wonder if it's breaking your rule is reason to resist. Sorry you're so sick.
You've got to get that stuff out of the house! You look like you already downed the whole bottle and it was labeled wrong- that sucker's full of alcohol! I'm very proud of you resisting Coke. The fact that you got a caffeine headache shows that Coke was a part of you you're better off without.
Say, you have more will-power than we do. We swear off soda about every other week. At least we have the caffeine-free diet stuff, so no headaches, but we still get the carbonation and other bad stuff. Sorry you have the gomboo. Get better quick!
I thought for sure you caved - BRAVO! Keep it up! It may be a silly little challenge, but will-power that strong is saying something! Steve was so glad you didn't give in!
Post a Comment