Tuesday, November 18, 2008
37 Years ... and we still love each other!
Today marks 37 years together as husband and wife - and as Janene was quick to point out, that means we have been in love for over 40 years. Janene wrote me a little note today to tell me how much we have been through and yet how happy we are. Of course, me being the klutz of the relationship, I didn't have anything written for her. So I'll put it on the blog for everyone to see. Janene has always been my best friend, the one I can talk to, the one I can share my fears, my sorrows and my joys. We have not always had what you would call a perfect marriage, although we are pretty close to that now. Through all the years we were raising 6+ kids, our relationship has been a lot of work, most of it on Janene's back, as she changed diapers, washed clothes, drove car pools, and put up with a missing husband. We have had lots of good times though, as we have been able to raise a beautiful family with children who know how and choose to do good and righteous things. Through it all we have had some great adventures, travelled all over the world and learned to love our own backyard. We have tried to help our family see the beauty God created in this world, and Janene has taught them that they can create beauty of their own by her example. I have had the benefit of a very understanding wife, one who lets me be who I need to be, but who lets me know when I'm out of line too. When I see her come into a room, I still get that same giddy feeling I did when I first saw her get on the summer science class bus in 1967. I picked the prettiest girl in school and that hasn't changed in forty years. I've learned in that time that there's a lot more important things than looks, and I hit the jackpot when I chose Janene and got the best woman on earth. I'll love you always, Janene.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Ahhhh, that's sweet! Happy Anniversary. I'm certainly glad that you two found each other because the results of that have blessed my life beyond measure. I can't imagine being married as long as you have, but I want to be just like you two when I've been married that long.
Mom and Dad,
When you celebrate yourselves, you don't celebrate alone. I feel so lucky to have had you raise me. Amen, Dad, to the part about Mom teaching us about what we can create, while you taught us about God's creations (I know you didn't mean to say it that way, but it happened!) While you say that you didn't always have a perfect marriage, I will give it to you for never fighting in front of us and never acting worried, frightened, or showed despair. Even when things were difficult, you always let us know you knew everything would be okay. I remember our old truck with the camper breaking down regularly on trips, and Dad saying, "I'll just hitch-hike and pick up the parts. I'll be back in a while." Then, Mom would hunker down with her stitchery, and we would play on the roadside. You don't get to 37 years without a lot of faith! I love you both very much.
Congratulations to an exemplary couple! I love you both and your wonderful family.
Hey the Phillips family! I hope you don't mind me peeking into your blog...but i found you and just had to say hi!!!
Congrats on 37 years!...you two are some amazing and lucky people!
Rett and I have a blog...a pretty boring one at that (no kids...just a dog)...but feel free to look and say hi! I am so glad they have these things now days to keep in touch! Makes things a whole lot easier huh?!
Jill Blackburn Jaques
rettandjill@blogspot.com
To me you are a perfect couple and we glad we have you as such great examples for a couple and a family!
Congratulations!
Diana
Post a Comment