Saturday, November 13, 2010

Only 41 Days Left Until Christmas

It's getting close to that time again. Christmas displays are out in the stores. Mindy said she heard a Christmas song on the radio today.
We always have lots of fun with the family around Christmastime. Janene and I both look forward to spending time together with our family.
Over the years we have done lots of fun things for the holidays. The other day, Brooke told us about one of her favorite Christmases. She said that we got together one Family Night and asked every child to write down his or her favorite Christmas traditions. Then, we did the things that year that the kids wanted to do.
Brooke said we had a ton of fun that year. It's kind of funny, but Janene and I don't really remember doing that with our kids. We thought we would do it again, though, because it sounded like such a good idea.

 So here it is - What was your favorite Christmas tradition? Did you have more than one? What should our family do together to celebrate the birth of our Savior?
 Give us your suggestions for fun family traditions and Janene and I will try to do some of them this year. Let us know what your favorite Christmas tradition was. Even if we don't do it as an extended family, maybe it will give you or someone else an idea for your own family. Of course, we look forward to Christmas Eve at Grandma and Grandpas home, but maybe we can do some other fun things together.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Heather K. said...

I can't believe that I am the first comment! We must all be pretty busy. I favorite tradition was always sleeping under the tree. I don't think the sleeping part was always great, but the party before was so fun. We also loved decorating the tree. It would be fun if we had a party where we played games and had popcorn and decorated the bottom of your tree with unbreakable ornaments saved just for the grandkids. That would solve the problem of breakable ornaments being at the bottom of the tree: they'd all be broken before they could get to that point!
Another tradition that would be special is to attend a live nativity together. There is one in Sugar House that a YW/YM group puts on. The church is next to a gully/park, and they bring in candles, camels, etc. All you have to do is take some food to donate. It was beautiful the last time we went.
We went to an elf village once that, strangely, I still dream about sometimes.

Freebairn Family said...

We plan to sleep under the tree as our own little family, as I recall nothing more exciting than having a giant fun slumber party with my family (even if we all end up in our own beds in the end). As far as my favorite memory from growing up at home goes, it would have to be the Christmas baking, and Steve agrees. We'd love to come and make some cinnamon rolls, butter mints, almond roca, etc. Steve has definite requests this year! A little Phillips family sledding trip could be a lot of fun as well, although the great sledding hills have been destroyed. . .

Anonymous said...

I would have to say the baking of all the goodies was probably the best :) I've always agreed with Doug though - I like the peanut butter cups. More just the peanut butter goodness, but it's a way to getting what I want! I also loved when we were kids and did the advent calendar and there was always a note in there from Santa and sometimes a gift. The time that stands out the most was my awesome white christmas tights I got one morning. They were awesome! I plan to do that one with my family one day. That and secret Santa. Should I go on? haha