Saturday, November 6, 2010

Good Morning, Bountiful !

Most mornings when I wake up, it is zero dark thirty, and I can't see anything out our bedroom door. We sleep with the door open every night. It makes for cool sleeping, with lots of fresh air, but most mornings, I just close the door on the darkness when I get up, and begin my morning routine. This morning, I got to sleep in (Saturday) and was awakened by the sight of the dawn light on the quakies next door. I know it is kind of weird to take a picture of what you see out your window from your bed, but I am a pretty lucky guy to be able to see this from my bed instead of some blank wall, or the side of the neighbor's house, or some other crazy sight. Now... we have a beautiful deck, comfortable chairs and nice view. It would be nice if I ever had time to sit out there and enjoy a minute or two. By the way - all those great autumn leaves? They blew away today.
Some people told me that I should have shown a picture of the fence that the two Phillips families put up last week. So here it is for all to see. It is wonderful to have such good neighbors. The guy who built the house next door, was the only guy I ever actually got into a fist fight with when I was in high school. At the time, we hated each other's guts. When he moved in next door, we had a kind of uneasy truce, but we hardly ever spoke to each other. The next guy to move in was OK, but we didn't really have much in common. When Brandon and Ashley moved in, it was good to have someone we sort of knew already. Brandon and his dad were the ones who played the bagpipes at David's graveside. Brandon's dad actually has the same name as our son - David Phillips. When our grandkids come over, they always run to the fence and ask if Jensen and Chessa can come over and play. Brandon and I have this thing we do whenever we see each other. One of us will say "Hey Brother Phillips, how are you?" The other will answer " Just fine, how are you, Brother Phillips? Then we laugh. We always laugh. Sometimes, you have to stop, stop and realize how blessed we are. It's not the big things. We aren't rich. We aren't poor, either. We are just rich in other ways.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

RETTJ16 said...

Wow...looking at your backyard brings back memories!! :)