Saturday, November 14, 2009

Heather - Are you home?





http://www.ksl.com/?nid=460&sid=8661042&pid=0

Yesterday I drove past a horrible wreck on the freeway. It took me over an hour to get to Draper - and I got off the freeway at I-215 at Redwood Road  to avoid the backup. On the way back to Salt Lake, I saw it from the northbound lanes. It was a maroon Montana van just like Heather and Joe's. There is a link above to the pictures.

Immediately the thought crossed my mind that this could be Heather. Since it was obvious that nobody could survive this crash, all sorts of pictures came to mind of my daughter and her little family being scraped off the pavement. Then reason kicked in, and I realized that it had been a couple of hours and someone would have called me. I had my cell phone, so - no problem, right?

As I got out of my next appointment and headed for home, I couldn't take it any longer and called Heather at home. I was never so relieved to hear my daughter's voice. She assured me that she was fine, but that she had been thinking how scary it was to pile six precious souls into one vehicle and go hurtling down the road at 60-70 miles an hour. Any one of those trips could end up like the guy I saw on the freeway.

I realize now that there is a family somewhere who did get that phone call. They found out that their daddy isn't coming home any more and that many other people were hurt because of him. Somehow, we think that because it didn't happen to us, it is OK. There is something wrong with that, don't you think?

2 comments:

Heather K. said...

I'm sure glad that wasn't me, and I'm also glad that there was only one man in the car. He could have fit 8 people! They say that at 13th South people were calling about him being a reckless driver, but they think it may have been a medical problem causing him to drive recklessly. His poor family. Isn't it interesting that we can be thinking of others and still so selfish. In fact, there is almost no way to empathize with others without understanding how it would affect our lives. We can not understand how something affects others unless if pertains to us in some way. Thanks for worrying about me. I'm glad I was home to answer the phone. We were going to go to Park City last night.

Crystal said...

I remember once when I thought somebody I know and love had died. Remember, it was you? A miscommunication led us to believe you had died. We were so relieved to see you standing out in the field in front of your house.

What and awful feeling to be worried about Heather for that time. Especially considering what your family has been through before.

On another note-
One time while heading southbound on I-15 I looked over and saw what I was certain was my uncle's truck involved in an accident on the northbound side of I-15. I texted them (Chad was driving) and they answered back, "You saw us.?" Turns out they had been rear-ended. Fortunately it wasn't that bad of an accident, there truck sustained very little damage. They were very concerned for the driver of the vehicle that rear-ended them. She was diabetic and was just barely pregnant and was having a hard time controlling her diabetes. She had an appointment the next day to see her doctor. She ended up going into diabetic shock while driving home on I-15. My aunt and uncle offered to drive her home after the accident so she didn't have to get somebody to come get her, the highway patrolman was a little surprised they offered.