Walk into our kitchen and what do you hear? The answer to that question used to be that you thought Janene had left the wheat grinder running - with pea gravel inside. The sound was the hum of the ballasts in the old fluorescent lights going on the fritz. It used to be that if I was upstairs in the other part of the house taking a shower, I could tell when Janene turned on the lights in the kitchen. Thanks to our good friend Larry Gerber, now you hear crickets outside on the patio, but nothing in the kitchen.
Larry replaced twelve 40W light fixtures (480 watts total) with six 28W bulbs (168 watts total). We are now using about one third of the energy we used before the repair and we have have more light (maybe 1-1/2 times as much light). Not to mention much less heat - and noise. This is going to take some getting used to. Larry's company sells these kinds of drop-in replacement lights and I cannot for the life of me figure out why this is taking so long to catch on. People should be calling him all day long and ordering this stuff, but they haven't been. I am sure sold, so consider this a shameless plug for Larry's company.
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Home Improvements are always fun! Enjoy the light in your life!
Yeah! I have to say, I told Mom just last Friday I thought it was incredibly annoying, and I didn't even live there!
My dad says thanks for the plug. However figures are incorrect. Old lamps draw 48W per tube with old fashion ballasts. New retrofits draw 28.4 W per tube. New is 576 total watts and new is 170.4 total watts. (My dad is sitting right here and telling me what to type.)
Here I am trying to type on this microscopic keyboard. Mary lynne kitchen beats mine, even with my new state of the art lights. However, there's no place like home for finding things. Having fun with mom and dev. Love ya. Janene
Post a Comment