Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Day at the Beach

Redondo Beach - Los Angeles County, California
Laura could not stay out of the water, the whole day we were at the beach. She played in the water jumping through the oncoming waves, screaming every time one came onshore.
She even kept playing when the lady who was next to her got swept out by the current and had to be rescued, Baywatch style. I had suggested that we play right in front of the lifeguard, thinking it was safer there. Turns out the lifeguard station was placed there because of the riptide. So much for a landlubber's thinking about oceanic things.
Michael is planning on being a talking head on CNN. He decided to practice at the beach. He didn't seem the least bit worried that he would not be able to get out of the hole he dug for himself. He looks like what I imagine Stephen must have looked when he was that age.
Sam was not to be outdone when it came to playing in the sand. Brooke showed him how to find horseshoe crabs and he caught a whole bucket of them. Overall, it was a lot cooler at the beach than it had been at Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm - plus we didn't have to wait in any lines for this. Believe it or not, Stephen, Laura and I waited about 2-1/2 hours for a 20 second ride at Knott"s called the Perilous Plunge. The Ghostrider was quite the trip as well, Stephen and Laura even getting to ride it twice. Other than the long, long ride in a car with a couple of kids, it was a fun trip for all of us.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Freebairn Family said...

Yes, it was fun (despite the heat and crowds). I went to the zoo on the hottest day ever and there was NO ONE there. Apparently the smart people knew that the zoo wasn't the best place to go that day!

Diana said...

We wondered where you went! Looks like you had a great time. I used to live in Redondo Beach. We had a big picture window and could see the ocean. I used to catch sand crabs and ride the giant turtles. Glad you're home safe.