Friday, June 5, 2009

Thoughts on June 5th

I woke up this morning at 4:00 AM listening to the sounds of the birds on our hill. My thoughts were taken back to mornings spent with David in the mountains where we would spend the early hours listening to the birds sing and talking about things in our life. Sometimes we would talk about the great adventures we were going to enjoy. Often David wanted to talk about why other people seemed so uncommitted to a belief in God when he and I could see evidence of His influence all around us. David was especially concerned for his friends, some of whom were struggling with hard problems in their lives.
We would talk about fun times we had enjoyed, about the fish we had caught and the stories we could tell when we got home. During the few years before Dave died, I was lucky enough to be somewhat unemployed - some would say "between jobs". It was the perfect time to go backpacking with my little buddy. And so it was that I got to spend a lot of my morning hours in the tent with Dave - listening to the songs of the birds.
Whenever this time of year comes around, I remember the music of the birds as we lay in bed in the morning. My thoughts always go back to those times spent with Dave. Most of the time, these aren't particularly sad times, but are instead a time for me to remember the joy we felt then. I think it was C.S. Lewis who said that the joy we felt then is part of the pain that we feel now. Somehow they are intertwined and become one. In a way, the pain we feel now and always will, validates (probably not the right word) the love we have together.
I have found that when I think of myself, I can become absorbed in the feelings that come as I realize how long it will be until I will see my little buddy again. This way lies madness; but if instead, I think about Dave, I can't help but smile and feel joy. Everything he did was to the max, from dragging home a Christmas tree someone else threw out and making it his own ,to kissing the big fish he caught, to teasing his sisters. His life was an example for me to watch, follow and enjoy. On this day so many years later we have been reminded of the love others have for us as they have remembered the hard day that came so many years ago. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. We all look forward to that day when we can be reunited.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

PhillipsClan said...

Thirteen years and counting. No, I'm not wishing my life away, but getting closer to seeing David again can't be so bad. For so many of us, David's young death takes away the sting when we picture that time for ourselves. I always hope that our other family members will know that we love each of them and value them just as much as we do David. If they can see how much we love this son who was taken so young, maybe they can believe that they also are that important. I wish that our actions could show each of our loved ones that this is true. I pray they will all be patient with us as we try to muddle through this telestial experience. We have a bright future ahead...all of us. Thank you, Robin, for taking time to record some memorable times we have enjoyed together.
Love, Janene

Freebairn Family said...

Michael loved this post - he ran to tell Daddy to come see Mommy's brother who died. Thanks for sharing the photos and keeping him "alive" for all of us. As a parent, I can now imagine how many sweet memories you must have of him. Especially for Chelane and I, it's so much harder to remember. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Diana said...

We have always admired the dignity and strength your family has shown through this sad life experience. As in all things, you are an example to us. It's so fun to see David's photos and remember his charming smile and personality. Thank you for your memories, it helps us feel closer to him once more as well. Diana and John

Rob & Shauna said...

I too cherish the memories of David and admire the strength you all showed at such a difficult time of life. I feel so blessed to have shared the time that I had with you and am so glad we can keep in touch now.