Saturday, January 31, 2009
On Becoming Perfect
Earlier this week, I went to lunch with the guys from work to a Chinese restaurant. (Did you know that fortune cookies are really a Japanese custom? The Chinese took it over in the US when we rounded up all the Japanese and put them in camps during WWII.) I got this fortune cookie. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? It has set me to thinking, almost obsessing, about this. It has become apparent to me that I am never going to achieve perfection in this life. Thankfully, I know that I have all the rest of this life, the time I will spend in Paradise, (if I make it there) and the entire 1000 years of the Millenium before I need to be perfect. I like to think that I might just be able to get there ahead of schedule - maybe 950 years into the Millenium. Is that prideful? Anyway, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what this piece of paper is supposed to mean. Am I going to die soon? Could this just mean that I will become perfect in some individual way? After all, I am perfect in some things. I can check off the box at the doctor's that says I don't smoke anymore. Come to think of it, though, that's about all. Or is this just a crummy piece of paper created as a torture device by some fortune cookie guru? My last one said something sensible " You will soon get a good paying job" ( I gave that to my son-in-law, Joseph) I normally pay no attention to these things, but this one is bugging me big time. I would appreciate any advice anyone has about putting this one to bed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Perfection, shmection! Who cares? we're here to enjoy the ride and to pick up a lesson or two along the way. What does it matter whether or not you're perfect right now as long as you're the perfect husband for me? (Of course, I may be prejudice).
Love ya, Me
Post a Comment