Sunday, December 7, 2008

Welcome to the Christmas House

Christmas is in full swing at the Phillips Home. Steve helped us put up the lights on the roof and Chelane helped us with our tree and the house is finally decorated for Christmas. This year we found a new kind of Christmas lights that are solar powered like the kind used on walkways. This allowed us to put up a tree at the cemetery for David this year that is lighted at night. For the first time in years, I was able to take a few minutes and just sit in the living room admiring the tree and soaking up the spirit of the season. We had grandkids over tonight. They spent a few minutes standing in awe as they watched the lights. We love the Christmas season and look forward (sometimes with a little dread) to putting up the lights again, and listening to all the old Christmas stories. We each have our favorite stories and the good ones make you cry.
One thing that we can do now that the kids have grown is put up the Christmas Village. With no kids around to throw balls at the schoolhouse, the village can remain intact - at least until the grandkids come over. With the grandchildren proliferating in our family, we may need to keep the village boxed up next year. Janene and I both know that 'things' are not really important. We love our traditions, but we love our kids more. The most important things in our lives are our relationships with family and friends. Hopefully, they can help us enjoy this Christmas season.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Karissa said...

So far so good. Your house survived Zeke for a day... barely. I love your house at Christmas time.

Heather K. said...

It's wonderful to come and enjoy the nostalgic feelings I have of Christmases past. You always worked so hard to make it a special time of year for us. We understand if things are too hard and you need to tone down in the future. We'll enjoy this year and try to help more in future years.

Joe said...

I'll always love your huge Christmas tree.

Diana said...

We are always in awe of Christmas at your house! "How do they do it?" we exclaim! So many lights, such a big tree, so many memories. That's what it's all about. That is really neat about a lighted tree at the cemetery. That light never really goes out. You guys are super. Diana

Crystal said...

I love your house at Christmas time, it's perfect! Even if you toned it down a little bit I'm sure it would still be wonderful.

RETTJ16 said...

What a beautiful tree! Want to come decorate mine? Oh well, atleast mine is up!!:)
You have a tree up at the cemetery? I bet it is beautiful! I need to make a trip over there one of these days to see it!!