As far as vacations, go this has been a doozy. Janene left town to take her mother to Oregon while I went with my parents and Tammy to the High Uintas. I had a relaxing time there, but my mother will tell you "Theres's something wrong with that boy! He slept half the time." It turns out she was probably right, since within a few days I landed in here. I had a busy week moving Chelane into her new home, helping Angie and Heather with their homes and then Friday helping our ward with the annual Zuchini Races.
It seems that Janene never goes out of town but that something major happens. Friday night after the races, I felt a little queasy and decided to go to bed and not stay up. By 1:00 AM I knew something was wrong, and by 3:30 I knew that I would have to get Chelane out of bed and have her drive me to the hospital. When I arrived, my fever was over 104, I was shaking like a leaf, and the ER staff went to work right away. Shortly, I had had a spinal tap, two IV's were inserted, and then as my blood pressure continued to drop 64/44, the doctors decided to cut a hole in my jugular vein and insert a catheter to the heart so they could dump enough fluids in me and medications (a presser) to bring my BP up.
It seems that Janene never goes out of town but that something major happens. Friday night after the races, I felt a little queasy and decided to go to bed and not stay up. By 1:00 AM I knew something was wrong, and by 3:30 I knew that I would have to get Chelane out of bed and have her drive me to the hospital. When I arrived, my fever was over 104, I was shaking like a leaf, and the ER staff went to work right away. Shortly, I had had a spinal tap, two IV's were inserted, and then as my blood pressure continued to drop 64/44, the doctors decided to cut a hole in my jugular vein and insert a catheter to the heart so they could dump enough fluids in me and medications (a presser) to bring my BP up.
The next thing I knew I was in intensive care while they tried to figure out what was wrong. Janene cut her trip short and brought her mom to the Reno Airport to get a standby flight back. There is a whole story about that experience. With a priesthood blessing from my sons-in-law, a visit from the Bishopric, and Janene home we thought we were out of the woods. That night, my temperature spiked to 105, and they resorted to bagging me in ice and brought in fans to cool me off . I don't have fond memories of the LDS Hilton Ice Baths, and I want to file a complaint with Paris Hilton herself. While she's of gallavanting around the world running for President their quality control is going into the toilet.
Just so everyone knows, I am feeling much better now, though it looks like our trip is only just a little over half over. The whole culprit now appears to be a little bug called pseudamonas aeregosa http://www.textbookofbacteriology.net/pseudomonas.html that lurks in stagnant water. Once it enters your bloodstream, look out because there will be a battle of epic proportions going on for your body and they will need to pump lots of miniature warriors in to help in that battle. It appears the primary battle is over, but there are a few mop-up operations before we can declare victory. Thank goodness there will be no need of regime change here. I love you all, your support has been wonderful. Thank God that we will get to be together again.
6 comments:
What a scare you always try to give us! We were glad to see you yesterday and hope to see you home soon. Get some rest and try to find something you can eat!
We love you! Feel better!
Robin! What is it with you and those bugs! You've got to stop allowing your body to be such a hospitable place for these killer microscopic monsters!!!!!!!!! Now thanks to the LDS Staff, for getting you back to life. We love you and don't want you going anywhere we can't go right with you! Get well and come home soon!
Lisseth, Glen and Familia
Wow, that sounds like such a saga. I hope you are feeling better soon!
What a harrowing experience! We are so glad you are OK. You seem to be keeping a positive attitude despite the trauma. We'll keep our fingers crossed that it's all uphill from here.
On Friday night at the zuchinni races I watched you helping my dad with things he couldn't do himself because his body is falling apart. I thought to myself that my dad is lucky to have a friend much healthier than himself. Turns out, you were feeling pretty darn sick that night. Thanks for helping my dad inspite of the fact you felt lousy. Get better soon!
Robin, I'm glad you're out of the hospital. I can't believe you had to go through such a crazy and scary experience. Welcome back. Enjoy that new grandbaby.
Post a Comment