Thursday, July 3, 2008
Handcart Trek in Wyoming
I want to post a few pictures of our Handcart Trek we just completed today. We have lots more pictures, but I wanted to get a few posted right away especially for our Trek Family to see. Alex Morrill from our ward was the company piper and he really added to the flavor of the whole experience. I would imagine that some of the Scots who immigrated here by handcart would have brought their pipes. He is a very accomplished young man who has won many awards at his young age. He is related to the Barclays who own a cabin on Mill Flat near Grandpa Morton's. Janene caught a picture of Mike and Patty Wright in a tender moment. Mike serves with me in our bishopric and has taught me a lot about compassion and service during this last year. We were blessed with an incredible trek family that included Trevor, Annie, Jason, Lauren, Zach, Mary, Jesse,Heather,Jordan and Libby. I will post something later about each of them, but for now you need to know that each of these young men and women were chosen by inspiration and we ended up being especially close, and had more fun than we should have on this trip. It was incredibly hot and dusty, and we ended up travelling about 25 miles camping at different places every night. The last night, our girls had a burping contest (mixed with other unmentionable sounds) that continued until about 1:30AM, while the boys figured out how to jump and hop on top of each other, all while zipped up entirely in their mummy bags. They looked for all the world like silkworms boiling in a pot. Between the two groups, I don't think I have laughed so hard for quite a few years. We really gained an appreciation for those of our ancestors who made the trek west with handcarts, as well as those who travelled using other methods, and we will never be the same after this experience.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Looks like a great experience. That's awesome that the Morrill boy played the bagpipes.
I'm excited to see more pictures.
I Googled your blog.
Love the pictures.
Our ward leaves in the in the morning. I will be a Ma and I am a bit nervous! Any last minute suggestions for me? :)
Post a Comment