Monday, October 6, 2014
A Helpmeet? or a Cheerleader?
During conference this week, we listened as one of the Seventy from Taiwan gave his talk in Cantonese. He was comparing the story of the sick man who was lifted down through the roof to get to Jesus, to the work of bishops and home teachers and elders. In my mind, he stretched the analogy just a little too far. By the time he got to the part where he said that the part of the Relief Society was there to cheer the men on and admonish the men to "be safe", I cringed at the thought of all the hard working sisters and Relief Society presidents being relegated to mere cheerleaders.
I know that he probably did not mean this to come out this way, and maybe I was the only one who took it this way, but all I could do was think of how hard my bride worked (and how hard two of my girls are working) to fulfill their responsibilities as Relief Society presidents. It brought to mind the work that my Grandmother Morton did to support Grandpa in his photography. Countless incredible photographs feature Grandpa front and center. Just who do you think took those photographs? Grandpa took black and white photographs, yet all of the big murals in the Capitol and the Union Pacific photos were in color. Just who do you think painstakingly hand painted all that color into the photos. Thankfully, the cherished photo I have bears the inscription "By Thelma and Al Morton".
Just as Grandma was an accomplished photographer in her own right, Janene is likewise blessed with artistic ability - plus she has to put up with me when we go out taking pictures. This week, I think I took seven hundred photographs. Four or five of those turned out to be good. Janene took probably about twenty - and got at least four or five good ones. This one was one I took too. Hers was better.
Janene oftentimes sees things I don't see. I didn't see the orange tree that makes this picture pop.
Janene can really see detail. Maybe she just has better vision, but I am afraid it is something more than that.
I wanted to take the trail out of this picture. Janene's version leaves the trail in and invites the viewer to become part of the picture.
Both of us saw this picture, but while I was fiddling with the camera, Janene was saying "the light is changing fast - just take the picture. And she was right. She is almost always right". I am just grateful that I am blessed with a companion who is willing to put up with me and things I want to do. She is far more than a cheerleader for me. She is a teacher, a helpmeet, and someone who makes me complete.
Have I got it good or what? Again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
Cheerleaders are pretty valuable sometimes too, but we certainly have a lot of examples of doers, don't we? Lovely photos!
Post a Comment