Thursday, August 2, 2012

What are you looking at?


During the recent annular solar eclipse, we traveled as a family to Ground Zero in the center of the path of the eclipse for a once in a lifetime glimpse of what the sun can look like.




 NASA set up some telescopes along with Southern Utah State University to get a better view. With this telescope, I was able to see solar flares and sunspots on the surface of the sun.
 We were only a few miles from Vikki's home in Kanarraville. Julia chose a spot close to the ambulance for her viewing spot. She doesn't look too worried. It was a kind of party atmosphere around here.
 Our first try at photographing this event was not too impressive. Should have brought the tripod.
 We got a little better, but not until after we had reached perfect alignment.
 We did have to wait around for a long time. Amazingly, there was still a wait for the facilities
 What a classic family photograph! It's a good thing they were wearing their glasses.
 They didn't really come prepared to see a half-moon!
 Like I said, a party atmosphere. or is it a carnival?
Once in a lifetime. We were glad we went, even though it took us about 7 hours to get home. Thanks Vikki!

4 comments:

Robin said...

I, too, thought it was worth the trouble and time to go see this once-in-a-lifetime event. I was amazed to see such perfection as the two orbs lined up exactly and for a long time. I'll always remember that day.
Janene

Freebairn Family said...

Looks like it was fun - despite the half moon. . . poor lady! She has no ideas she's "featured" on some poor stranger's blog in all her glory. Darn!

Robin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
paschervente2012 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.