Thursday, December 8, 2011

"They dwell and abide on the rock"

Imagine our surprise on Thanksgiving Day when our children chose this opportunity to honor their parents. This holiday came pretty close to our 40th wedding anniversary. The kids gathered up rocks and placed them in a basket. Each rock carried the name of someone we love - and each one wrote a card expressing why they were thankful for us. They chose a scripture from Job that was used to describe the dwelling place of eagles. What an honor to have our children rejoice in having been raised in a home based on the rock of our salvation, even Jesus Christ. We tried hard to make our home a "strong place", a house of learning , a house of prayer and a home of love.

The inscription at the doorway to our house, placed in the concrete when the porch was formed, says" This Home is built on a foundation of love - May the Good Lord bless all who enter". That foundation has ever been a strength to our family. The kids chose the rock theme also because Janene and I met while looking for fossils in the mountains east of Coalville. Who knew there would be so many rocks in our basket?

We had a semi-large group here for Thanksgiving dinner, but we missed those who weren't here. Some who could not come, came later for dessert (including Heather's banana cream pie).

Our home is often full of family and friends. What a blessing for us to have this great family!



And no, Stephen, even though there was lots of the bubbly stuff, I did not partake!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Freebairn Family said...

I can't believe we missed Thanksgiving! Did you have to remind us?

Crystal said...

What a great family indeed. I love them all!
I love my parents and all the hard work they put into raising us. I have also admired the way you parented your children. And now that I am a parent, I am awed by it even more.
Can you write a post on this line from this post-
"We tried hard to make our home a "strong place", a house of learning , a house of prayer and a home of love."
What is some of your advice when it comes to parenting?