I think I must be going through a sort of midlife crisis. I feel like the person in that song (is it by Abba?) "Torn between two lovers". I have always been faithful to my first love, the High Uintas. I was introduced to her by my grandfather and my father in my 12th year. For years I have taken all my vacations here, taught my grandkids to fish here, and shown all my Boys Scouts how to care for the land here. A couple of weeks ago Janene and I even went on a hike all the way to the top of Granddaddy Pass above Heart Lake, just so I could take this picture of one of my favorite places.
Now I feel like I have cheated on my lifelong love and stepped out with a new one. I went with the Boy Scouts of our ward to the Bridger Wilderness in the Wind River Range of Wyoming. I expected to have fun, but thought this would just be a one night stand. I had no intention of letting this be a long term relationship. But now I dream of going back, exploring all the unknown country, and fishing new lakes. I caught the largest Brook Trout (21 inches) of my life here in a little puddle of a lake without even a name. This picture of Eklund Lake with the peaks of the Wind Rivers in the background is only a sample of the beauty I was able to see on this trip. Ah! What is a guy to do?
Sunday, August 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Wow, I see what you mean. John says not to worry... he doesn't think either of your loves will be jealous of the other, so you don't have to choose. You can have them both. That Windriver is gorgeous country.
Post a Comment