Friday, March 13, 2009

Watch the Birdie!

Being in St. George has its advantages. While we were there for Katie's farewell, Laura became the badminton (is that really how you spell that?) queen. She talked everyone into playing with her. Mindy played with her for hours.
She got pretty good at it and was able to keep volleys going for a long time. Her specialty was getting the shuttlecock caught in the net - then she would whack it through. Kind of a vertical Whack-a-Mole.
She even got Grandpa to play for a while. I was reminded of a time when I was about Laura's age living in Rose Park. We had a badminton set and it was one of the things I remember doing with my Mom after she got sick. Most of the time, we we did indoor things with her on her bed - word games, and listening to educational things on the radio, reading and doing homework. Of course,my Mom always did gardening when she felt up to it and we were recruited to help, but the fun stuff was playing a mean game of badminton.
I don't know if I ever would have bothered to tell anyone about that memory, except that Laura had so much fun with her Grandpa recovering from surgery and that made me remember how much fun I had with my Mom when she was recovering. Until this week, I don't think I have played badminton since that time. What a shame!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: